Thanks to the Geoff Thompson archive, hosted on the DJ Norton website, for these photos.
There’s a fantastic website of more photos like these here
1966. On the corner of Midland Road and Rowheath Road was this store owned by D Nicholls. Amongst the items on display are step ladders, bowls, mops, buckets, coal, seeds, plants and watering cans.
Broad Meadow Motors, 1726 Pershore Road. 1958. Now a couple of houses next to the Murco (formerly Jet) garage.
- 1951. This picture was taken from the corner of Watford Road and Northfield road and shows Wincott’s Newsagent and Tobacconist on the opposite corner of Watford Road and Rowheath Road. Note the attractive lamppost to the right, probably still gas powered at this time – note the two little extra lamps to illuminate the ‘keep left’ sign.
Scotts Garage, 1958. Opposite Midland Road. Now a Nationwide Autocentre. To the right of the garage is the Cotteridge Social Club, still going strong!
1955. Bullock's and the Empire store would later become the site of Woolworths. To the right of Empire Stores is Boots, still there today!
This picture was supplied by Mary Gibbons who moved to 1885 Pershore Road in 1947 when her father bought the shop from his employer, Arthur Turner. He decided to keep the name of JL Mason so that the customers would still recognise the shop. JL Mason was primarily a fishmongers but a small sign above the entrance says that it was also a, "licensed dealer in game". Mary thinks the picture was of Christmas stock as she remembers it looking like this at Christmas when she was a child. Normally there would just have been a display of fish on the marble slab. Note the sawdust on the floor to prevent slipping. Mary's father, Jim Bird, is the chap on the right and at this time he was a fishmonger's assistant. Less than ten years later he would own the shop! Thanks to Mary and the DJ Norton website for this photo.