Elizabeth is looking for informaton about a shoe shop called Huins on the Pershore Road around 1929, which her relatives (Gordon and Daisy Jarvis plus their children Pearl, David and Philip) lived above. She would love to see any surviving photos of the shop and this particular stretch of Pershore Road, or hear from anyone with any memories of the shop or family.

E-mail us or leave a comment below with any information to pass on.

One Response to “Huins”

  • Peter Garwood:

    KNOW YOUR MOSELEY HISTORY – By Ewart Patrick The Huins Brothers (Part One)
    Redditch boot merchant Sydney Lloyd Huins had three sons, James Proctor (born 1899), Sydney John (born 1901) and Ronald Lloyd (born 1904). All three boys were educated at Bromsgrove School, the alma mater of a number of Moseley players including the club’s first international, J.H. Rogers.
    When Proctor, as he was known, left school he studied medicine at Birmingham University but because the Great War was still in progress he also became an army cadet in the Royal Flying Corps. In 1917 he was temporarily promoted, on probation, to second lieutenant and interrupted his studies to serve with 45 Fighter Squadron initially in France and during 1918 in Italy. During his service in the latter country, on 24th March, at Val D’Aosta, while piloting a Sopwith Camel, he put an enemy Albatross D III out of action and, in complete contrast, on the very next day, crashed another aircraft although he appears to have escaped unscathed. He was awarded the Croix de Guerre in recognition of his wartime service.
    On 1st April 1918 the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service amalgamated to form the Royal Air Force, in which Proctor Huins continued to serve as a second lieutenant until 5th March 1919 when he was promoted to lieutenant before being transferred to the unemployed list on 5th April. This allowed him to recommence his medical studies and on completing these he became a general practitioner in Northfield.
    John Huins, who like his brother Proctor was known by his second forename, was still at Bromsgrove School in 1919 where, also like his older brother, he played in the first XI cricket team and during the summer John also turned out for the Redditch club side. The youngest of the brothers Ronald was also a cricketer while at Bromsgrove.
    After leaving school John and Ronald maintained their connections with Bromsgrove cricket by turning out for the Old Bromsgrovian XI, with whom they toured Devon in August 1923 when John scored 61 against Chudleigh. John also toured Devon with the old boys in 1924, 1927.and 1928 taking wickets, including 4 for 22 against United Services in 1928, and making some catches but without making any more large scores with the bat.
    In September 1923 both Proctor and John Huins were in the Moseley 1st XV three-quarter line, where they alternated between the wing and centre positions. Towards the end of the 1923/24 season John also played on the wing for Old Edwardians in their match against Coventry and scored a try. Whether or not this was a one-off guest appearance is unclear and equally unclear is how he qualified to play for the old boys of King Edward’s School, Birmingham although it should be noted that before going to Bromsgrove School he had attended King Edward VI School, Stratford on Avon.
    John Huins made his county debut for North Midlands in the county’s match against the New Zealanders, at Villa Park, on 8th October 1924, in front of 18,000 spectators. Copying the formation employed by their visitors North Midlands fielded three three-quarters and two five-eighths, one of the five-eighths being John Huins who was joined in the side by seven of his club colleagues including Austin Woodward who led the team.
    The formidable New Zealand side included the great George Nepia at fullback and the rest of the team bar one had either already played Test rugby or would do so later in their careers. Not surprisingly the tourists won by a score of 40 points to three, J.H. Parker touching down five times. The game was, however, not as one-sided as the score might suggest because the home team kept
    trying throughout the match in which Moseley wing Ralph Orcutt had the distinction of being the first Englishman to score a try against the tourists.
    Moseley were captained by Proctor Huins in 1924/35 when the first XV record was a very creditable played 33, won 20, drew two, lost 11, points for 383 and points against 268.

    The Huins Brothers (Part Two)
    John Huins made his County Championship debut on 4th November 1925 when he set up a try for club colleague Ralph Orcutt during North Midlands’ three-six defeat by Leicestershire, at The Reddings. Following this match he also appeared for North Midlands in their victory over East Midlands (19-17) and their defeat by Warwickshire (6-9).
    On 5th December 1925 John was selected as one of the centres in the Colours or junior side for the first England international trial match which was played at Carlisle one week later. Following the game, which was won by the senior or Whites team, The Times considered Huins to be a serious contender for a place in England’s three-quarter line and thought ‘he showed that he was a strong and straight runner of great promise’ while the Dundee Evening Telegraph considered Huins to be ‘the discovery of the match.’
    The reward for John’s efforts was a place in the Possibles side for the second England trial, at Bath, on 19th December, although before the match he was promoted to the Probables. Despite scoring his side’s first try and intercepting the ball to set up the second Huins was, at half time, relegated to the Possibles side. This demotion does not seem to have affected his play unduly because he was involved in the build-up to a try for his new side. His efforts were, however, in vain because he was not invited to take part in the third and final England trial.
    Following North Midlands’ defeat by Leicestershire, in November 1925, North Midlands lodged an official protest with the Rugby Football Union on the grounds that Leicestershire’s England international H.L.V. Day although a member of the Leicester club did not have a residential qualification for the county. The Rugby Football Union agreed and although the Leicestershire executive considered withdrawing from the County Championship as a protest against this ruling they ultimately accepted the decision and agreed to the match being replayed.
    The game was staged at The Reddings, on 3rd February 1926, and North Midlands reversed the result of the previous encounter by winning 6-3 through tries by John Huins and Ralph Orcutt. This result meant that the two counties were tied at the top of the Midland Group and therefore had to play a third time to decide which side would advance to the County Championship semi-final.
    The play-off match took place, at Leicester, on 17th February, when a North Midlands team, which included John Huins and eight other Moseley players, was defeated by 14 points to three. In its match report The Times noted that ‘Huins played well.’
    In April 1926 John Huins was honoured with an invitation from the Barbarians to join their annual Easter tour of South Wales and he made his debut for the famous club in the tour’s opening fixture, against Penarth, which the visitors won by 33 points to 19 and during which he scored two tries.
    John Huins also played in the tour’s second game, against Cardiff, which the tourists lost by eight points to four but, perhaps not surprisingly, having played on the previous day he was a little out of form and The Times reported that ‘he was not very certain in taking his passes.’ John Huins was also a non-playing member of the 1931 South Wales tour party.
    (to be continued)

    The Huins Brothers (Part Three)
    On 1st March 1928 Proctor Huins was commissioned as a flight lieutenant on general flying
    duties in the 605 (County of Warwick) (Bombing) Squadron of the Auxiliary Air Force, which was based at Castle Bromwich aerodrome and on 9th October of the same year John followed in his brother’s slipstream when he was commissioned as a pilot officer in the same squadron.
    In the following year, on 4th August, John took off from Castle Bromwich in a new bomber aircraft which he was to pilot to Manston, in Kent, for an annual training session, however, after travelling about 100 yards one of the craft’s wings collapsed and the aeroplane crashed onto St.Mary’s mission church from a height of around 50 feet.
    The building, which was constructed of corrugated iron and wood, burst into flames and was completely destroyed. Pilot Officer Huins, his clothes alight, staggered from the wreckage and was immediately given first aid. Suffering from severe shock and burns he was taken to Birmingham General Hospital where his condition was described as ‘serious’.
    Such was the severity of the blaze that fire crews were despatched from Aston, Erdington and Washwood Heath, however, they managed to quickly get the fire under control and prevent it from spreading to a nearby soap works.
    Still suffering from ill-health, John Huins resigned his commission on 7th April 1930 but was allowed to retain his rank of pilot officer. His accident did not, however, put an end to his sporting activities and during the 1930s he played cricket for the Redditch club and was a member of the Old Bromsgrovian Devon tours of 1934 and 1938, scoring 84 against United Services in the latter year and he was still turning out for the Redditch 2nd XI in 1948-49.
    Like his brothers, Ronald Huins was a cricketer but he did not play rugby, his main sporting activity being on the golf course, where he represented Worcestershire in 1934, 1935 and 1937 Proctor Huins became medical officer of 605 Squadron on 1st March 1938 with the rank of flight lieutenant. On 25th March 1939 Ronald Huins followed in his brothers’ footsteps when heobtained a commission as an acting pilot officer in 915 (County of Warwick) (Balloon) Squadron and later in the same year, on 3rd May, was promoted to flying officer. As from 1st September 1940 Ronald was again promoted to the rank of flight lieutenant (temporary) and another temporary promotion to squadron leader followed from 1st September 1942. In 1944 he was transferred from the Balloon Branch to the Administrative and Special Duties Branch.
    At the outbreak of the Second World War, in 1939, Proctor Huins was transferred to Bomber Command’s research team, where he flew in bomber aircraft to test their oxygen equipment, making over 30 flights over Germany.
    In June 1941 Proctor Huins was temporarily promoted to squadron leader and later in the year was promoted to acting wing commander. In recognition of his research work he was, in September 1941, appointed as an additional officer of the military division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire. Two years later he was also awarded the Air Efficiency Award and
    was mentioned in despatches while in the 1944 New Year Honours List he received the Air Force Cross.
    In 1949 Proctor Huins relinquished his commission in the Auxiliary Air Force on his appointment to the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve where he retained his rank of acting wing commander, however, from 4th February 1951 he was promoted to the substantive rank of squadron leader.
    Proctor Huins finally relinquished his commission as from 4th February 1958 and became a general practitioner in Uley, Gloucestershire until his retirement in 1966. During his time in Gloucestershire he was a member of the local medical committee and also worked as an anaesthetist at the local hospital in Berkeley.
    Proctor Huins’s other interests included a governorship at Stouts Hill School, membership of the Severn Wildfowl Trust and service on the parochial church council. He was also president of his local branch of the Royal Air Force Association.
    Proctor Huins died on 2nd May 1976 at the age of 77, John passed away in 1982 at the age of 80 and Ronald died in 1987 aged 83.

Leave a Reply